DJI is at it again! This time, the company is introducing a new device into its OSMO line up. The OSMO line up has become synonymous with on-the-go video shooting and multi-axes stabilisation. The new addition to the OSMO line up, the DJI OSMO Pocket brings 4K video shooting to a device which is less than 4-inches tall and fits perfectly into your pocket.
The new DJI OSMO Pocket is a compact device but don’t let its size deceive you. The OSMO Pocket packs quite a little bit in its petite body. The 1/2.3-inch sensor is able to take 12-megapixel pictures and can shoot videos of up to 4K resolution at 60 frames per second at 100Mbps. The OSMO Pocket also has two noise cancelling microphones built-in for high quality audio recording. It also comes with a 1-inch display which allows users to visualise what they’re shooting without the need for a separate screen. In addition, the screen allows users to toggle the various shooting modes, adjust settings, review footage and access the many creative features available.
It isn’t just about the hardware when it comes to the miniature OSMO, DJI has put some thought into making the OSMO Pocket one of the easiest gimbals to pick up and use. This includes packing the OSMO Pocket with many software features including ActiveTrack which allows the OSMO to automatically follow a subject and FaceTrack which lock on to your subject’s face allowing them to remain in focus throughout. In addition, Timelapse & Motionlapse allow users to capture stunning short videos which highlight movement and change. The latter adds motion to the time lapse. The OSMO Pocket also has 3×3 and 180° Panorama which allows users to capture expansive photos that highlight landscapes and their surroundings.
Users will be able to connect other USB-C or Lightning Cable through a universal port under the 1-inch touchscreen. Connecting your device to the OSMO Pocket will launch the dedicated DJI Mimo app which will extend the capabilities of the OSMO Pocket further. Aside from allowing the connected device to act as a monitor, the app also offers a slew of intelligent features and recording modes.
The DJI OSMO Pocket also comes with its own ecosystem of accessories as listed below:
- Accessory Mount- The accessory mount makes Osmo Pocket compatible with action camera accessories so you’re able to capture your adventure footage, such as when mounted on a helmet, backpack or your wrist.
- Wireless Module- The wireless module supports Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth transmission between Osmo Pocket and your smartphone, providing remote access to the camera feed and control of Osmo Pocket; perfect for setting up a Timelapse or Motionlapse on a busy city street.
- Controller Wheel- The wheel allows you to precisely control gimbal movement (left-right or up-down) enabling you to easily adjust the composition of your shot. Re-center the gimbal or switch to selfie mode easily with dedicated buttons on the handle.
- Expansion Kit – The expansion kit includes the Accessory Mount, Wireless Module and Controller Wheel.
- ND Filters Set – Specifically designed for Osmo Pocket, ND filters attach to the front of the camera to reduce the amount of light entering the sensor. The ND Filter Set offers several levels of filter darkness and allows for more control over the camera’s aperture, exposure time, and sensor sensitivity settings.
- Waterproof Case – Bring a unique underwater perspective to your footage using the Waterproof Case which can be placed at a depth of 60 meters.
- Extension Rod – The Extension Rod attaches to the Lightning or USB-C port and provides 31 inches of reach to Osmo Pocket, opening a world of new creative angles that are normally difficult or impossible to get. A gimbal control joystick and camera button on the handle were designed for remote control when using the Extension Rod and a tripod was added to the bottom for expanded use cases
- Charging Case – This dual-purpose case not only protects Osmo Pocket while in transit but charges it as well. Dedicated sections were added into the case for your MicroSD card and ND filters so you can quickly grab your Osmo Pocket and know you’re ready to capture those moments and adventures.
- 5mm Adapter – The 3.5mm Adapter allows you to connect an external microphone if you prefer to capture audio using a separate device.
The DJI Osmo Pocket will be on sale for USD$349 (RM1,460.32). Pre-orders for the new device kicks off today at store.dji.com, DJI Flagship Stores, DJI Authorized Retailers and additional retailers starting today with units expected to ship on December 15, 2018.
Also published on Medium.